Satisfaction with the quality and quantity of content was mixed, but device usage and planned budgets point to promising content market.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (March 11, 2019) — 76% of those who use their VR headset everyday intend to spend at least $20 monthly on apps or content over the next 12 months, according to the new report by Greenlight Insights, the global leader in market intelligence for virtual and augmented reality. The 2019 VR Headset Owners Segmentation Report, released today, also finds that content titles from publishers Bethesda, Oculus Studios, and Beats Games are the most highly rated for their repeat playability.
Now in its 2nd consecutive year, the 2019 VR Headset Owners Segmentation Report surveyed 2,088 VR headset owners aged 18 to 70 years about use, spending, and sentiment toward their devices and the state of the VR application and content marketplace.
“Consumers’ investment in virtual reality platforms and content continues to rise,” says Clifton Dawson, CEO & Principal Analyst at Greenlight Insights. “Born from the data, we are seeing that there are remarkable differences in how various clusters, namely socioeconomic and psychographic, are expect from virtual reality.”
Select Key Findings
- VR headset owners are heavy gaming and media consumers. 83% of all owners self-identify as avid video-game players. Also, most owners spend more time during the typical week watching videos online than they spend with social media apps.
- Regular use of headsets is improving. 81% of owners report using their headsets at least weekly, while one-third report daily use. When respondents use their headset, 64% use it between 30 mins and 2 hours at a time.
- Owners’ expectation of spending on content remains bright. One-third of owners say they intend to spend more than $40 per month on VR content over the next 12 months. Those who use their VR headset everyday intend to spend more on apps and content than those who use their headsets less frequently.
- Satisfaction with the quality and quantity of content remains mixed. Only 43% of respondents agree with the statement they are happy with the amount of VR content available and 48% agree they are happy with the type of VR content available.
The 2019 VR Headset Owners Segmentation Report
Focusing on owners of VR headsets from Oculus, HTC, Sony PlayStation, Microsoft, Google, Samsung, and Pico, the 2019 VR Headset Owners Segmentation Report provides a 360-degree view of the virtual reality headset market that segments owners on the basis of their multifaceted demographics, behavior, preferences, and investment across the VR platforms on which they own. Topics covered in the survey and featured in the report include:
- Segmentation of VR headset owners by key demographics
- Media consumption habits, including gaming, eSports, social media, TV & other media
- Brand familiarity and ownership by key manufacturers
- Device usage by platform type
- Planned apps and content spending
- Preferences for VR apps and content by title, gaming genre, and price points
More details on the report, as well as how to order the report, can be found online at https://greenlightinsigh.com/reports/vr-headset-owners-segmentation-2019.
About Greenlight Insights
Greenlight Insights delivers critical strategic insights to the world's leading hardware makers, publishers, developers, service providers, institutional investors, trade associations, and government entities.
Greenlight Insights provides proprietary and syndicated research as well as consulting services. Based in San Francisco, with offices in Boston and Denver, Greenlight Insights comprises a diverse team of highly-skilled industry professionals who offer deep expertise in xR markets